Potatoes are quite unpretentious and can grow anywhere. But the size of the harvest is not always encouraging. To increase the yield of potatoes, you need to seriously approach such moments as planting, care, choice of variety. Secrets of increasing the number of harvested roots in the article.
Standard methods for increasing yields
Potato yield depends on many factors. Soil fertilizer alone is not enough.Numerous tricks will allow you to get a good harvest of culture
The following factors influence a good result:
- more deep;
- the ovary of a large number of roots;
- a good potato immunity will result in a small amount of culling when sorting seeds;
- timelandingand harvest affect the crop.
Let us consider in more detail how to increase the yield of potatoes using standard methods.
Planting material to increase yields
To increase the yield, you need to properly select and prepare the seeds. Seed preparation begins in the fall, after harvest. If the potato is used for planting its own, then we must immediately select healthy, uncracked tubers and put separately from the rest of the potato.
Early spring again start cooking potatoes for planting. To do this, repeat the procedure for the selection of tubers. Best weight 50-80g.It is important not only to prepare the soil, but also carefully inspect the tubers for planting.
If a nematode is found on the seed, the potato is unsuitable for planting. Nematode is considered a very dangerous disease and infects all potatoes at once.
If the tubers are frozen or have an unpleasant putrid odor, they should also be removed.
Pre-tuber preparation and planting methods
Selected tubers to plant on. To do this, they should be decomposed into light, in a room that is well ventilated. Temperature should not be below 10C. Landscaping last for a month. Periodically plant material to turn.
Another method of sprouting potatoes - in plastic bags. Pierce a 100 cm by 30 cm long bag, making holes 1 cm apart, 10 cm apart. Fill the bags with planting material and hang in a well-lit room.
Planting potatoes in the right way will give excellent results. There are more than a hundred modern methods, but the most effective of them are as follows:
- Trenching. Suitable for sandy soils. In the autumn, trenches should be dug 30: 100 cm. A layer of 15 cm of hay should be laid in the trench, and fertilized with manure mixed with ash. During the frost period the layer is compacted. In the spring, planting material is laid out in a trench and lightly sprinkled with soil.
- Landing under the hole. In the autumn it is recommended to prepare a plot: fertilize, mulch the soil. In spring, the tubers are planted by digging holes. Germinated tubers are placed in the hole to a depth of 8-10 cm shoots up. It is recommended to fertilize the top with manure and ash.
- Landing under the ridges. If the ground in the garden is clay or dirt, then fit the ridges at a distance of 20: 80cm. Combs can be done with the help of agricultural engineering. Planting material is planted in the hollows located on the top of the ridges.
- In the ridges
- Under the hole
1 recess there are three potato bushes. Each plant will take as much feeding as it needs. It is recommended to fertilize chicken manure. It contains - potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen. It must be added to the ash in a ratio of 2: 1.
Consider the most effective fertilizers, thanks to which you can get a rich harvest:
- Urgasa. Compost is applied before planting between the rows and sprinkled with 5 cm of soil. Fertilized area need to pour water. During the month, worms will spread compost over the entire area of the site;
- Peaks Supercompost. Add to the wells immediately before planting;
- Kemira. Sprinkle into the hole when planting, at the rate of 15-20g in each hole. This is a little less than a teaspoon. Before putting the potato, it is necessary to sprinkle the granules with earth;
- Gibbersib. Natural growth regulator. Soak the seed for 2 hours in the solution and then rinse with water, sow or put on germination;
- Epin. Growth stimulant;
- Silk. After using Silk, potatoes gain weight, the level of starch rises, and the roots are well preserved until spring.
- Peaks Supercompost
To do on the moistened soil. Hilling is performed in several stages:
- When potatoes grow 10 cm;
- When tuber formation begins;
- When the bushes grow to 25 cm.
Hilling can be done in two ways:
- manual tucker. The device is used for processing the soil between the beds;
- walking tractor. Universal device for loosening the soil and harvest. It is possible to use a hiller behind or three-row nozzles, which will spud 3 bushes at the same time.
Immediately after planting, you do not need to water the potatoes, the root system is being laid. Watering rules:
- watering should be done in the evening to reduce the evaporation of moisture;
- the first watering is carried out a month after planting;
- most peak watering - flowering period;
- to moisten the soil you need to use tepid water. Ice water can chill the plant;
- watering is done in parts, at first half is poured under the bush, after absorbing the rest of the water is poured;
- it is impossible to water a bush with a direct stream;
- can not be watered plants before harvesting.
After flowering, increase the amount of watering to 20 liters per bush. Reduce watering to 3 liters with wilting tops. With full drying of the stems, watering should be stopped altogether.
Pest and disease control
The most common potato pests: Colorado potato beetle, golden nematode, wireworm, polar bear. Pest Control Measures:
- plant crops at the place where legumes, grains, and beets used to grow;
- in autumn you need to dig the ground;
- Before planting, the tubers should be checked for any damage, growths or diseases;
- handle potatoes when planting chemical solutions for pests and diseases;
- make organics before planting. Add to the hole bird droppings 1: 3;
- choose disease-resistant potato varieties;
- after harvesting, mow and burn the tops.
- Colorado beetle
Secrets of increasing the harvest
In order to increase the yield, you need to follow the recommendations of gardeners. There are several secrets.
Disinfection of planting material
Seed need must be disinfected. This is a good prevention from diseases and pests. To do this, soak the tubers for 2 hours in a solution of potassium permanganate 0.5 g per 10 liters of water, copper sulfate 5 g, boric acid 15 g.
Bathing in nutrient solution to accelerate growth
Potatoes need to be kept in a nutrient solution for 2 days before planting - this will help speed up the growth of the culture. Cooking method at home:
- mix superphosphate 40 g, nitrogen fertilizer 40 g, potassium salt 40 g;
- add a solution of 10 liters of water;
- pour on tubers without sprouts.
Stimulating incision to increase yield
Some gardeners believe that the best yield direction of potato furrows from north to south. In our latitudes, before lunch, the sun will illuminate the eastern side of the rows, and then - the western. This will maximize saturate the crop with warmth and light.
After flowering after 2-3 weeks, break the stems at a height of 15 cm from the soil. This method will significantly improve the yield of the bush. It is necessary to break the stem in such a way that it does not lose its integrity, but could not recover anymore. After this procedure, the nutrients are sent to the tubers, and not to the stem.
To potato gave a big crop, it is recommended to alternate cultures. Good planting root vegetable after: Legumes, Pumpkin, Cabbage, Cucumber.
Place of planting potatoes should be smooth, without holes, so that they do not linger moisture. It is good to plant potatoes in loam, sandy loam, drained peatlands, gray soils. Acid soils do not fit.
Plant not a lot
The yield increase depends on the width between the rows of potatoes. Recommended width for early varieties is 65-70 cm, for late ones - 75-80 cm.
Growing without flowers
Flowering potatoes reduce harvest by a quarter. All organic matter is distributed throughout the plant, as well as in flowers by 25%. therefore don't wait for flowers to appear. It is recommended to remove peduncles immediately when they originate.Potato flowers reduce crop yield
If you follow all the above tips, the harvest will increase significantly. Good luck to you!