Many gardeners have already paid attention to the new variety of sweet and hot peppers Bell. The vegetable has an amazing shape and is suitable not only for cooking, but also for decorating the site. The variety has many advantages and grows well both in the greenhouse and in the open field. Characteristics, the cultivation of the bell in the article.
Description and characteristic of bell peppers
Let's start with the description of the variety. It belongs to the rare species of berry pepper. Bushes reach 2 meters in height. The fruits have an unusual shape in the form of a bell. Main characteristics:
- late ripening variety;
- yield up to 1.5 kg from a bush;
- average fruit weight 50g;
- taste is sweet-sharp (combines bitter and sweet taste);
- the growing season is 140-150 days.
Growing seedlings need to start in early February. From the appearance of the first sprouts to harvest, it takes about 150 days. Like many burning species, the variety is resistant to diseases and pests.
History of the variety
The bell is originally from southern Africa, where it is particularly popular now.. Only a few decades ago the variety was brought to us. Gardeners got a unique opportunity to grow peppers of an unusual type and taste.
Advantages and disadvantagesMore green bell peppers
Undoubtedly, there are many more advantages in the Kolokolchik variety than minuses. Main advantages:
- the variety is perennial;
- can be planted immediately in pots, and then pick up for the winter;
- in the greenhouse you can get a big harvest;
- The variety is suitable for preparing a huge number of dishes: canning, salads, drying, for appetizers, stuffing;
- contains a large amount of vitamin B;
- hot pepper contains serotonin - the hormone of joy.
The only minus of the variety is that it will have to be expected within 5 months.
Gardeners recommend planting a bell in a seedling way. There are no differences in the care of this variety compared to ordinary varieties. Seed preparation begins in early February. Seeds can be bought at a specialty store or asked from neighbors who have already managed to grow this variety.
Before sowing seeds need to carry out their selection. To do this, separate the large, medium from small. Determine among the empty seeds as follows: in a glass of water, add 20 grams. salt and put there seeds. Those that surfaced are considered empty. They can be safely discarded.
In addition to the selection of an important procedure - disinfection of seeds. This requires potassium permanganate 1%. Dip the seeds for half an hour into the solution, and then dry. The procedure is performed immediately before sowing.Care for bell peppers
The bell does not tolerate picking, so it’s better to plant the seedlings immediately in peat pots with a diameter of 10 cm. It is not advisable to use large pots, as the peppers slowly develop the root system.
The soil should be light and loose, consisting of: humus and sand 1: 1. Per kilogram of soil, add 20g of ash. Landing rules:
- After germination change it is necessary to place it in a damp cloth for a couple of days at t +20.
- It is necessary to plant a shift to a depth of 3-4 cm. Sprouts can be obtained after a few days.
- It is recommended to immediately pour the earth and cover the pot with foil.
- When sprouts sprout to put the seedlings where it is maintained t + 25 + 28 in the afternoon, at night +15.
- Watering the plant is not often, so as not to have rotting roots.
- Watering is carried out with warm water.
- Seedlings need additional coverage (especially in February and March).
A week before transplanting into the open ground, gradually seed the seedlings to cooler air. For this you need to make pots for a few hours in the fresh air.
Transplantation in open groundBell peppers on the garden plot
When 3-4 leaves appear, the seedlings can be transplanted into open ground. The best time is my beginning, when the temperature at night has already stabilized to + 13C.
- Transplantation is carried out so as not to damage the roots of seedlings. The best time is evening.
- There should be a distance of 40 cm between the rows.
- Place in the garden should be sunny, windless.
- It is recommended to add ash into the well and pour a little potassium permanganate solution.
- Seedlings are moved into the hole to the leaves. The soil is mulched and watered.
Care is as follows:
- water only with warm water;
- 14 days after planting fertilize the soil with mullein;
- during the flowering period to make a solution of ash;
- and after another 20 days, fertilize with calcium and potassium;
- when the bush will be formed, it is recommended to pinch the side shoots;
- a month before harvesting you need to pinch all the shoots.
As long as the fruit is green, it tastes sweet. As soon as the pepper begins to turn red, it becomes burning. Green peppers ripen for 7 days.
Diseases and pests
The bell is subject to aphid attack. To neutralize plants from the pest, you can prepare the following solution:
- Brewed 200 grams of tobacco and 10 grams of ground pepper.
- A little soap is rubbed into the mixture.
- Everything is diluted in 10 liters of water.
- Means sprayed on the leaves and soil.
From the Colorado potato beetle will help the celandine solution, you can also plant beans near the pepper. It repels insects.
Anna, Moscow region:At my site every year there is a spider mite. He attacks and pepper. To get rid of the insect using a mixture of onion and garlic. I spray the plant at any time during its growth.
Yulia, Krasnodar Territory:For seedlings using soil from the site and ash. At the bottom of the pot puncture holes for easy suction of water. Peppers like it very much. To taste sweet and sour.
The variety will decorate any garden, because the fruits look very elegant and look great on a festive table. Can be used for seasoning. At the same time it can be stored in this form for a whole year.