The ornamental sunflower is an annual herb. Its sunny flowers will decorate any site. There are more than 150 varieties of sunflower, which makes it possible for each gardener to choose flowers to his own taste.
The purpose of growing decorative sunflower in open ground
Ornamental sunflower, called gelianthus, differs from the agricultural species in saturated sunny flowers. It is grown to create on the site. unique rustic color.
Often enough sunflower can be planted for:
- creating a hedge around the circumference of the fences;
- creating bouquet compositions;
- decoration of flower beds.
The most popular varieties of sunflower
The most popular varieties of helianthuses should include:
- Teddy bear. The annual plant has a compact size (up to 1 m) and blooms with fairly large double flowers, painted in bright yellow tones. The flowering period is delayed until the fall.
- Red sun. Variety of sunflower, which has bright petals of red-brown shades. Plant height reaches 2 m, and the flowering period is quite long
- Vanilla ice grown to create bouquets. Flowers have a delicate vanilla color and very favorably emphasize the tenderness of the flower composition.
- Moulin rouge. Sunflower with an unusual color scheme. Petals of maroon-red tones closer to the edges brighten, and to the middle part of the flowers become very dark.
- Kong - the highest representative of the sunflower. The plant reaches a height of 5 m. As a rule, such plants are planted near fences and tied up, as with strong gusts of wind, sunflowers break. This variety produces remarkable and colorful hedges.
- Teddy bear. In this variety, flowers look incredibly rich - terry, fluffy with a bright yellow shade, they look spectacular in flower arrangements.
- Orange sun. The decorative sunflower begins its flowering period in July and pleases with its dark red flowers until September. It should be borne in mind that the plant loves open sunny areas. It tolerates drought well and loves sunny warm days.
- Teddy bear
- Red sun
- Vanilla ice
- Moulin rouge
- Teddy bear
- Orange sun
Before planting, you must choose the most favorable area for the growth of ornamental plants. When choosing a place, you should remember that the best sites for planting a decorative sunflower are:
- protected from wind gusts;
- with a good level of drainage.
Decorative sunflower cannot grow on high acid soil. Planting seeds is possible from early May to mid-July.
When planting a helicopter it is necessary to strictly observe the sowing technology:
- First thing soak the seeds. To do this, wrap them in a material impregnated with infusion of wood resin. A recipe of infusion - a liter of warm water will require a couple of Art. ash.
- We dig holes, the depth of which reaches 5.5-6 cm.
- We deepen into each well a few seeds of 2-2.5 cm.
- The distance between sprouts should be approximately 45-50 cm depending on the variety. The largest varieties should be placed at a distance 70 cm apart.
- Rows should be located at a distance 70-80 cm.
- After sowing the beds they should be rolled.
- The first shoots of seedlings appear after 7-11 days.
Care for a decorative flower
Decorative sunflowers require timely care:
- Flowers should be watered enough often and abundantly, as the root of an annual plant reaches a depth of 2-2.5 m. In hot weather, the soil is moistened several times a day. It is especially important to water the plants before the period of full formation of 4 pairs of foliage, budding and flowering.
- Gelianthus required enhanced nutrition. For these purposes, you should purchase granulated superphosphate, which will need to feed the sunflower and water it abundantly at the time of development of the 5 leaf. As soon as the baskets begin to form, the plant is fertilized with a mullein extract in a ratio of 1:10. Potassium sulfate is also added. If bubbles begin to form on the foliage of the gelantus, it is necessary to feed the plant with a boron-containing solution.
- Periodically, it is necessary to examine the condition of plantations in order to timely detect the activity of pests or the onset of the development of the disease.
- Every 7-10 days is required soil loosening and weed removal.
Diseases and pests
Despite the external power and invulnerability of plants, it should be borne in mind that insufficient care can provoke the occurrence of such diseases as:
- black spot;
- gray spot;
- fomoz stalk;
For these purposes, perfect Apron and Kruiser.
Helianthuses can strike and viral infections:
- greening of inflorescences.
This disease is transmitted by insects. Also seriously harm the development of a solar flower can broomrape (a flowering plant of parasitic type with a completely missing root system). Broomrape shoots are fully embedded in the roots of sunflowers and feed at their expense.
When growing planes, be careful of the following pests:
- Maybot larvae;
- bed bugs;
- meadow moths.
For the destruction of pests, it is advisable to use insecticidal and acaricidal preparations, which include Agravertin, Volley, Akarin.
Application in landscape design and combination with other plants
When using colors of 2-3 types of various heights, you can make up with bright colors of the heliantus colorful flower bed. Having landed compact sunflower varieties along the edges of the garden paths You can make them especially amazing during the daytime. High sunflower species will be great. hedge.
When decorating a flower bed, you should consider the basic rules of landscape design:
- Yellow inflorescences of plants is better to plant next to the flowers of blue, purple and white shades.
- Decorative sunflowers will create a unique composition in combination with chrysanthemum, chamomile, white liatris, lavender and delphinium. If desired, you can add a composition of wild flowers of bright colors.
- Sunflower fence
- Flower bed
- Bouquet with sunflower
In recent years, sunflower has gained wide popularity. in the creation of bouquets. When composing the composition, chic solar inflorescences complement with asters, gladioli, chrysanthemums and roses. The main advantage of the use of sunflowers in bouquets is the preservation of its freshness over a long period of time.
Cultivation of decorative sunflowers does not require much time and physical costs. The most important thing is not to forget about systematic watering of plants, weeding beds and loosening the soil.
As soon as the buds wilted, they can be removed with a knife. After that, the geliantus should be cut to the root. If desired, you can collect seeds for the following planting.
Unpretentious plants of extraordinary beauty will emphasize the individuality of the garden plot. Solar inflorescences will please every day with their views of the owners, and create a cozy homely atmosphere.