Basil is an annual plant that is actively used for culinary purposes. Delicate taste and attractive aroma of spices allows you to add it to salads and soups. In addition to the culinary value of basil has a unique effect on the human body, but you need to know all its beneficial properties and contraindications.
Description and characteristics of basil
Spicy-aromatic plant is a family of light colored. Basil appeared for the first time in the Mediterranean. The further spread of the annual plant with green leaves quickly spread throughout Europe and Asia.
Basil varieties are of two types:
- with green leaves;
- with purple greens.
First grade, as a rule, like lemon, add in seasoningand the second one is used while cooking Eastern, Caucasian, Asian cuisine.
Plant with purple leaves has a sharp aromatherefore it is better to add it to food in small quantities. Green basil is incredible delicate and pleasant to taste.Violet basil leaves have a sharper flavor
Annual plant possesses rich in chemical composition. It contains a large amount:
- essential oil;
- vitamin b and c;
- vitamin A group;
Basil is extremely useful and endowed with the following properties:
- Essential oil gives the plant an exceptional smell and performs bactericidal and antioxidant function. The active components of the essential oil can quickly strengthen the immune system, rejuvenate the cells of the body and stimulate mental work. The presence of bactericidal properties makes the plant indispensable in dealing with problems in the oral cavity. In a short period of time, it is possible to strengthen the gums, eliminate bad breath and remove swelling.
- Performs a function antibiotic. During the illness, it can reduce the temperature, make breathing easier when coughing. Herbal tea based on a plant reduces cholesterol and strengthens the vascular system, as well as increases appetite and provokes improved digestion.
- Considering diaphoretic and antipyretic property Basil can be used not only in the treatment of colds, but also for serious viral infections.
- Annual essential oil can reduce the risk of cancer. Basil will quickly forget about the problems, relax and normalize sleep.
- Also, infusions and teas based on a healing plant will help to cope with the manifestations of flatulence, restore normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, rid the body of toxins and free radicals. In addition, using green or purple leaves of the grass, you can eliminate the itch after insect bites. Basil is also very useful for the female body. With it, you can forget about premenstrual pain, which torments the majority of the fair sex.
Despite the usefulness of basil, do not use it without first reading the contraindicationswhich include:
- the presence of diseases of the cardiovascular system (thrombophlebitis, heart attack, low blood clotting);
- the first months of pregnancy;
- propensity to develop hypertension and hypertension.
In other cases, the plant can be used for medical and culinary purposes, but it is worthwhile to limit the dosage of the medicinal annual, as food poisoning may occur against the background of excessive consumption.
Use in traditional medicine
Basil will assist in the fight against many ailments. For treatment folk method The plant can be included in:
- therapeutic balm;
How else can basil be used in traditional medicine
- To reduce the high temperature Body can be prepared infusion of basil with a small amount of black sesame seeds. Liquid is indispensable for viral infections and the first symptoms of a cold.
- With difficult childbirth It is advisable to drink the future mom's sour milk with basil, ground into powder. This will give her strength and accelerate the appearance of lactation.
- When rubbed calluses can be treated with a gruel of basil leaves. Similarly, you can rid yourself of a headache by chafing the leaves of the plant and smearing the area of the temples and occiput with the resulting mass.
- To reduce pressure inflorescences of shrubs (dried) and its foliage must be filled with boiling water and left for 30 minutes. After a specified period of time, you can drink healing tea, which not only reduces the pressure, but also gives strength.
<>> With a cold you can smell basil. The breathing procedure will reduce the swelling of the mucous membrane and soon you can forget about the cold.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
During the carrying of the baby should refrain from the use of spices, as he has a tonic effect. After the birth of the child, it is advisable to include the plant in the daily menu. This will avoid possible problems with lactation.To maximize the benefits of basil, you can make a decoction
For maximum benefit from the annual make a decoction out of it. For these purposes, the grass is placed in an enameled container and poured boiling water. We put the container in the water bath and insist there is a decoction about 20 minutes. Drink liquid preferably daily for an hour before bedtime.
Recipes with basil
There are a large number of recipes based on spices that are widely used in traditional medicine. The most popular ones are presented below.
To prepare you need to prepare 40 grams of dry basil. Having placed a grass in capacities, we fill in it with boiling water (400 ml). Leave for a couple of hours and drink 2 times a day instead of tea.
A few drops of basil essential oil can be dripped onto a sugar cube. Take several times a day after eating in case of strong over-excitement.Basil Essential Oil
Pouring 50 grams of annual grass into an enamel pan, pour 500 ml of boiling water over it. Insist for 30 minutes, filter and add to a warm bath. Spend about 15-20 minutes in relaxing herbal water.
40 grams of dry grass should be ground to powder. We apply the resulting product to places of edema or burns. Respiratory treatments can be performed with powder. with cold and cold.
Take 25 grams of basil, sage and lemon balm. Fill the plants with boiling water. Insist about 30 minutes. We take with a spoonful of honey every 5-6 hours (instead of tea) and vigor in combination with strong nerves will be provided.
With the help of juice, you can quickly heal serious cuts and deep wounds. In addition, it is actively used in the treatment of inflammation of the middle ear. Squeezing juice can only be from the part of the plant that grows above the ground. For these purposes, it is better to choose the period of cultivation before flowering.Juice can only be squeezed from a portion of basil growing above the ground.
You can collect not only the leaves, but also flowers, the immature part of the grass. Juice is having tonic effect, provokes the excitation of the nervous system and a positive effect on the body.
Systematic use of juice will save a person from urination problems, inflammation of the bladder or pyelitis. When gonorrhea juice is used in conjunction with milk. Every day you need to drink a teaspoon of liquid in the morning and evening hours.
Basil is a true gift of nature. When used properly, the plant will benefit and help get rid of a multitude of diseases, remove toxins and toxins from the body, and restore lost strength. Use of infusions will provide an opportunity to relax after a busy day and improve mood.