Making honey by bees is a well-known fact. But not everyone knows about other products resulting from the activity of these insects. But they are not so few: wax, snowstorm, propolis, bee milk. About propolis, the second most popular product after beekeeping, you will find out today.
We will talk about the healing properties of propolis, contraindications. You will learn how to apply propolis inside, whether it is possible to chew it, how much is harmful or not, and how to do it correctly.
What is bee propolis, the benefits and harm in its pure form
Propolis or bee glue is a special substance produced by the bees from the resin and necessary for insects to put up the cracks in the hive. Often in everyday life you can hear the statement that the product is a bee dung. Well, dispel this myth.
The true nature of the appearance of this substance is as follows: the bees collect and transfer resinous plant excreta on their paws, process them in the hive with special secrets of the jaw glands, add wax and pollen. This is how propolis turns out - an interesting and useful product for both bees and people.
Medicinal properties of propolis honey
The natural product since ancient times is famous for its healing properties. What is the reason for this phenomenon? The benefits of this product in phenolic components. Thus, propolis contains phenolic acid, flavones, flavonols, as well as ferulic, coffee and benzene acids.
These substances are biologically active components and have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, it contains B-group vitamins and amino acids.Natural propolis
How and how much to take a healing product for sore throat and tonsillitis
The use of possibly different methods. It can be applied, chewed, consumed "inside" with honey or in the form of introductory and alcoholic tinctures; sometimes it is advisable to use therapeutic candles.
The method of use of this substance is primarily dictated by the disease, and its use is recommended to agree with the doctor beforehand.. The main contraindication is allergy to bee products.
What diseases can it help with?
- Stomach ulcer. Propolis, of course, is not able to cure the ulcer completely, but it will be an excellent complement to the complex of stronger drugs. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties and vitamins it contains, it will help to cope with pain, as well as accelerate the healing process. The recommended method of use - in the form of oil or alcohol tincture.
- Gastritis. Use of gastritis - one way to get rid of pain, nausea and other unpleasant symptoms. To achieve this effect, you can chew or dissolving the product, using it in the composition of tinctures.
- Uterine myoma. The treatment in this case is a tribute to traditional medicine. Officially, this method is not supported, but in any case will not bring harm and will positively affect the general condition of the body. It is recommended to use propolis for this gynecological disease in the form of tinctures or candles (balls) inserted into the vagina.
- Onychomycosis or nail fungus. Due to its high bactericidal, fungicidal and bacteriostatic qualities, propolis will relieve itching and inflammation, and also prevent further spread of the fungus. Thus, the problem will be solved by the natural replacement of a diseased nail with a healthy plate. The recommended method of use is wetting of the patient part with the appropriate tincture.
- Helicobacter. Helicobacter pylori is a bacterium that settles in a person’s stomach and provokes ulcers. One of the effective ways to get rid of it is the use of water or alcohol tincture.
- Pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas. Possessing unique healing properties of propolis will not only help get rid of the disease, but also normalizes the work of the entire digestive system. The correct way to use - tincture of alcohol, the greatest impact is achieved in conjunction with complex medications.
- Sinusitis. Antibiotics are the most common treatment option for this disease, but traditional medicine offers its own alternative - propolis. And thanks to the antibacterial and regenerative properties of the substance, this method is very reasonable. When sinusitis is recommended to use in the form of tinctures, drops or inhalations.
- Hemorrhoids. If you believe alternative medicine, the use of suppositories, ointments or microcystic is one of the most effective ways to treat this disease. This "eco-friendly" method has been tested by many and has proved its effectiveness among the masses.
- Gastroduodenitis. Propolis setting is one of the main folk methods of treatment of erosive gastroduodenitis. The effectiveness of this method lies in the ability of the product to reduce inflammation and envelop the intestinal wall and stomach, protecting them from further irritation. Thus, over time, the integuments are restored, and the illness disappears by itself.
- Liver diseases. The benefits of propolis extract in this disease is manifested in the ability of a substance to become a catalyst for repairing damaged cells, while not harming the rest of the body.Propolis will not be effective and useful for all diseases of the liver and, in any case, is only an auxiliary tool.
- Bronchitis. For recovery or treatment of the bronchopulmonary system, propolis can be used either in the form of tinctures, or chewed or included in the composition of inhalations. Removing inflammation in the patient's airway, this substance will be an excellent addition to the overall complex of drugs and help alleviate the unpleasant symptoms of the disease.
- Gum disease. Bleeding and numbing gums, bad breath - these not very pleasant symptoms can be alleviated by applying and chewing propolis with anti-bactericidal and anti-inflammatory properties. This substance can completely cure minor diseases and become an assistant in getting rid of more severe gum ailments. Before using it, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
- Prostatitis. Prostate problems - a fairly common male disease. You can get rid of it using candles, which can be purchased at a pharmacy or manufactured by yourself.
- Bowel disease. With this problem, propolis will be a useful addition to the main course of treatment, help get rid of inflammation and repair damaged tissue.
- Uhendometriosis or endomatrit. The treatment of this disease is quite a long and laborious process requiring the complex work of medicines and folk remedies. Good result gives the use of the product in the form of tincture (for vaginal douching) or special candles.
- Acute tonsillitis or tonsillitis. With this ailment, the use of propolis is one of the most effective and environmentally friendly ways to get rid of irritation in the throat, as well as improve immunity. The recommended method of administration is alcohol tincture, rinse solution.
- Acne. Applying special plates to the right areas of the skin or wetting them with tincture will be most effective, and a special ointment containing this substance may be purchased at a pharmacy.
Due to its unique properties, propolis will indeed become an excellent adjuvant in the treatment of various diseases and help maintain strong immunity. However, it would be foolish to rely only on it - the most complex method of treatment that combines medication and elements of alternative medicine is always the most effective.
And now consider in more detail the most common ways of using propolis.Production of oil based on propolis
Can I chew propolis?
The therapeutic method, which is the chewing of propolis in its pure form, is quite controversial and has both advantages and disadvantages.
- Anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects, making chewing effective at solving problems of the mouth and throat.
- Analgesic effect.
- Enhance local immunity and prevent recurrence of diseases.
Cons of this method
- Propolis is an active substance that is close in its action to antibiotics and, if used improperly, will not only benefit, but also harm the body.
- The most important restriction applies to anyone suffering from allergies to bee products. This problem occurs in about 1% of all people and its owner is chewing propolis categorically contraindicated.
- Pregnant women should abstain: Perhaps the mother's body does not react to the substance, but there is a chance of individual intolerance in the fetus.
- To refuse this method of treatment or to limit it significantly should people with kidney, liver and biliary tract diseases.
How to apply propolis?
The pros and cons of this method, as well as contraindications, we considered. If you are still set to try the following treatment method, read the following rules for chewing propolis:
- Use propolis should be in strictly limited quantities. The rate will depend on your gender, age and physical characteristics. The average dose is only about 3 grams, but during the period of illness it can be increased to 10.
- To accustom the body to this substance should be carefully. Be gradual: start chewing with a small amount, observe the state of your body, and only then bring the amount of the substance consumed to your norm.
Making tinctures for gargling
Propolis tinctures are one of the most versatile and convenient ways to use this beekeeping product. Tincture with propolis helps with sore throat, tonsillitis, bronchitis, sore throat. It alleviates the symptoms of the disease and relieves the condition. Consider the types of such drinks, as well as the best recipes for their preparation.
For the treatment of diseases alcoholic tinctures with a concentration of from 5 to 40% can be used: the higher the percentage of alcohol, the stronger the influence of the drink. However, the use of tinctures with excessive concentration is not recommended - they produce too high an impact on body tissues and can be irritating.
In this way, the optimal alcohol percentage is only 15%. You can purchase such a solution in a pharmacy or prepare it yourself by following this recipe:
To prepare 100 grams of tincture, you will need: 15 grams of propolis and 85 milliliters of 75% alcohol.
Algorithm of preparation: Put the propolis in the fridge. When the product hardens, remove it and carefully cut it so that the size of one piece does not exceed 4 milliliters. Place crushed propolis in a bottle (preferably opaque) and pour it over with alcohol, seal it tightly and shake it several times (to ensure the best possible penetration of the liquid between the particles).
Place the solution in a dry, dark place and leave for two weeks, taking it out and shaking daily. When the infusion process is complete, strain the resulting solution through a sieve or gauze into a separate container.
The tincture prepared in this way will be as useful as possible and, if properly stored, will last up to 3 years.
You will also be interested to know:
- How to make ointment from propolis.
- How to apply tincture with propolis at home.
- How to treat tincture of wax moth at home.
Compared with the tincture of water, alcoholic solution of propolis has much more contraindications (for example, it is absolutely not suitable for children), and also retains less useful properties of the bee product itself. Most often, an aqueous solution of propolis is part of more complex medicines, but it can also be used as an independent drug.
To prepare you will need: propolis and distilled water in a ratio of 1/10 (that is, for example, per 10 grams of bee product, you must take 100 grams of liquid).
Tincture preparation algorithm: First, cool the propolis to a solid state and grind it with a knife or float so that the individual pieces are about 2-3 millimeters in size. Then add the ground substance to the water and draw for 24 hours, shaking occasionally - you should get a clear drink with a slight greenish tint and characteristic fragrant aroma. Filter the liquid and pour it into a vessel of dark glass.
Shelf life - about a week.Preparation of ointment using propolis
Contraindications to the use of tinctures
- Individual intolerance to bee products;
- The presence of acute eczema.
Among all methods of use, this option confidently takes the honorable first place: in a tandem, both the properties of propolis and the properties of honey complement and exaggerate each other.
Thus, this combination is the strongest active substance comparable to antibiotics and beneficially affecting the entire body.
How to use for treatment
- In the form of an ointment for the treatment of heavily healing external wounds;
- In the form of a basis for inhalation of the respiratory tract;
- Dissolve against diseases of the oral cavity (½ spoon at a time);
- For acute diseases, take medicinal propolis 1 teaspoon 3-4 times a day;
Is it normal that honey with propolis has a green tint? Yes, absolutely normal. Such honey (and propolis, respectively) is called fawn, and the unusual color is explained by the lack of flowering plants around the hive. Note that by its useful properties such honey is no different from a golden friend and is also recommended for consumption. You can treat them all the same diseases. And besides, you can gargle every 2-3 hours.