"Wet face" or infectious stomatitis - this disease usually affects rabbits up to 3 months and then goes on to healthy animals. The case is possible. Spread of disease in rabbits due to poor sanitary conditions., contaminants in mother liquors, streams and feeders. In order to avoid trouble, it is necessary to know the causes, identify symptoms, be able to provide timely assistance and carry out preventive treatment.
Causes of stomatitis in rabbits
Stomatitis, among the people of wood lice, rabbits get sick from one month to six months. The cause of the disease is a filter virus. It is contained in a dormant state in urine, saliva and blood. The disease is most pronounced in autumn and spring. Why?
- in this period the number of young animals increases;
- weakened immunity;
- crowded accommodation;
- temperature drops air;
- boost air humidity due to prolonged precipitation;
- mating of infected animals, so that sick rabbit babies are born.
The source of infection is infected animals that spread the disease to healthy ones. Symptoms of stomatitis appear in 2-3 days.
Why does the rabbit have a wet muzzle?
Wet muzzle - this is not the first sign of the disease, but rather the final. The disease begins with the fact that a white bloom appears in the language of the sick animal. Its shade varies from whitish to gray-reddish. Sores appear and drooling increases. After a few days the nasolabial part turns red. The fur around the mouth and on the neck becomes wet and sticky. The animal stops moving and for the most part sits in the corner of the cage.The rabbit has a white color on his tongue
They scratch the face with the paw, because the sores on the tongue itch. Due to pain, it hurts to chew on food, and as a result the sick animal loses weight. Due to poor diet, diarrhea can occur.
After the disease is detected, you need to take action. First, put the rabbit in an empty cage. Secondly, to appoint treatment to all animals that were with the patient together.
Treatment is prescribed depending on the form of the disease. Stomatitis is divided into two forms:
- Easy infectious.
With this form, the rabbit will recover independently. The disease is mild. Most often, even almost not noticeable. Sores are also present, but not so deep. Less itching and sore. Less salivation. About two days later, the rabbit babies recover. They are mobile, good appetite. Weight is not lost. Only the nose becomes warm and soft. Treat your mouth so that recovery is faster.
- Heavy form.
In this case, death is observed in a week. But, if treatment is carried out in time, there is a chance to save the rabbit. After saliva flow has increased, the general condition of the sick rabbit also changes. They move a little. They sit in a corner of the cage and constantly move their lips, as if chewing food. Eating food becomes painful due to sores, so the animals lose weight. The lips of the lips are stained with foamy saliva. Wet hair under the lower lip and on the neck. The sores itch and the rabbit regularly rubs its muzzle with its paws. At the same time gets an unattractive wet look. Therefore, the disease is called - snapper or wet muzzle. It is accompanied by uncontrolled diarrhea.The rabbit has a wet face
With timely treatment, the animal recovers after 1.5 weeks. Wool stays glued for a long time or falls out. After the sores there are traces that long healed.
How to treat this infectious disease
- Irrigate the mouth water solution of manganese (we make 0.15 percent solution).
- Bury in mouth penicillin solution (0.05-0.1 grams once a day). Or give an injection intramuscularly.
- Pour crushed pill into mouth (0.2 grams) streptocide. Repeat the procedure for 2-3 days.
- Copper sulfate dissolve in water (2%) and swab the nasolabial part. This procedure is done twice a day for three days.
- Make a ointment with the composition:
- lanolin 30 grams;
- penicillin 200 thousand units;
- sulfamide 2 grams;
- white neutral petroleum jelly 170 grams
All mix in a water bath until smooth. Lubricate the oral cavity with ointment.
Nontraditional disease treatment
Some rabbit breeders used for the treatment of stomatitis apidermin. It is designed to treat burns, abscesses, and ulcers, but is excellent in treating stomatitis in rabbits. The composition of this medication includes:
- Anti-inflammatory and accelerating cell regeneration.
- Pain reliever
- Enhance immunity.
Preventive work against stomatitis
In order to avoid mass death from infectious diseases and prevent the occurrence of diseases, it is necessary to observe the conditions of the rabbits. What preventive measures are required?
- Clean cells and queens:
- Do not allow the accumulation of feces and urine.
- Required cleaning feeders and drinkers:
- they must be clean and disinfected.
- Disinfection inventory and tools in the rabbit.
- Before entering the rabbit make a disinfection barrier:
- make a small square groove and put lime into it, which will serve as a good shoe disinfector.
- Do not keep animals crowded. In the cages should be animals at the rate of content.
- Feed the rabbits only high-quality, nutritious.
- For prophylaxis in drinking water add a few drops of iodine.
- Isolation of sick animals from healthy livestock.
- Cell disinfection in which sick animals were sitting.
- Avoid placing rabbit houses near noise sources.. When noisy, animals behave restlessly. Rabbits can abort. In rabbit immunity is reduced.
To save money, it is more profitable to prevent diseases than to cure and spend a lot of time and money on it. Infectious diseases most often appear in the autumn, spring. Therefore, at this time, the rabbit breeder needs to be especially attentive in order to take timely measures to identify sick animals.